from section I
60. When in fevers there is deafness, if blood run from the nostrils, or the bowels become disordered, it carries off the disease.
67. In fevers, frights after sleep, or convulsions, are a bad symptom.
75. Blood or pus in the urine indicates ulceration either of the kidneys or of the bladder.
from section V
7. Those cases of epilepsy which come on before puberty may undergo a change; but those which come on after twenty-five years of age, for the most part terminate in death.
13. In persons who cough up frothy blood, the discharge of it comes from the lungs.
28. Fumigation with aromatics promotes menstruation, and would be useful in many other cases, if it did not occasion heaviness of the head.
33. In a woman when there is a stoppage the menses, a discharge of blood from the nose is good.
36. When the menstrual discharge is of a bad color and irregular, it indicates that the woman stands in need of purging.
59. If a woman do not conceive, and wish to ascertain whether she can conceive, having wrapped her up in blankets, fumigate below, and if it appear that the scent passes through the body to the nostrils and mouth, know that of herself she is not unfruitful.
72. Persons disposed to jaundice are not very subject to flatulence.from section VI
3. In protracted cases of dysentery, loathing of food is a bad symptom, and still worse, if along with fever.
6. Diseases about the kidneys and bladder are cured with difficulty in old men.
23. If a fright or despondency lasts for a long time, it is a melancholic affection.
29. A woman does not take the gout, unless her menses be stopped.
31. Pains of the eyes are removed by the bath, or a fomentation, or venesection, or purging.
38. It is better not to apply any treatment in cases of occult cancer; for, if treated, the patients die quickly; but if not treated, they hold out for a long time.
54. In acute diseases, complicated with fever, a moaning respiration is bad.from section VII
17. Hiccup in inflammation of the liver bad.
30. In those cases in which frothy discharges occur in diarrhoea there are defluxions from the head.
33. In those cases in which the urine becomes divided there is great disorder in the body.
34. When bubbles settle on the surface of the urine, they indicate disease of the kidneys, and that the complaint will be protracted.
51. Sneezing arises from the head, owing to the brain being heated, or the cavity (ventricle) in the head being filled with humors; the air confined in it then is discharged, and makes a noise, because it comes through a narrow passage.
60. Fasting should be prescribed the those persons who have humid flesh; for fasting dries bodies.
72. Sleep and watchfulness, both of them, when immoderate, constitute disease.
83. In whatever diseases the eyes weep voluntarily, it is a good symptom, but when involuntarily, it is a bad.end of aphroisms
Special Note: We have the complete collection of Hippocrates' Aphroisms available in both print and electronic editions. The complete version contains more than 415 pentrating sayings of all apsects of human health and wellness. Visit our Chishti.com Online Bazaar to purchase immediately.